Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Future of Open Source

Back in 1995 we had the Initial releases of the Apache Server, MySQL and PHP. Three major open source projects that still power the web today. Majority of them running on GNU/Linux platforms.
Apache then soon also added Tomcat as well to the mix to further enhance this powerful combination. So what is next?

Now that we are well into the 21st century, what will be the next stable projects of the Internet? What will change how we use the Internet? Certainly we have great projects like phpMyAdmin, Zimbra, Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, SugarCRM, Mozilla and OpenOffice, osCommerce and memcached. I am sure I missed some.  I am not discrediting any of these projects, I have used and supported them. I am more curious about what we all think is the next big thing to change the way we relate and present things on the Internet. Will Cloudera , Owncloud , VoltDB, Postgresql, or OpenStack change how we do things ? Will the mobile market be revolutionized by open source software? Will cloud computing be the answer?

Time will tell but I am very curious about others opinions.