Gier was able to talk some in-depth about the MySQL optimizer , ICP , Batched Key Access ("BKA") and Multi-Range Read ("MRR") , 'explain' updates, as well as traces.
You can catch up on this as well with Rob Young's blog post available here.
Yoshinori also has a great blog post about 5.6.3: yoshinorimatsunobu.blogspot.com
Rob young also talked on MySQL Database Goals:
- Re-factored architecture
- Pluggable feature set
- Deprecate legacy "baggage"
- Real data dictionary (remove .frm files)
- Better Cloud, Hosting, Saas features
- Auto-sharding, load balancing , automatic failover
- Online operations
- Multi-tenancy, schema/catalogs, resource control, "elastic resources"
- Windows platforms
- Continue improvements
- Ease of use
- Enhanced API
- Performance & Capacity increases
- Wider Deployment options
Get MySQL 5.6.3 now and test out these great options !
MySQL 7.2.1 beta is available here.
Look for more blog posts on this topics as myself and the community tests and enjoys these features.